Being in a wreck, especially on the highway, can be a terrifying experience. Remember these 6 steps to make sure you are safe and to help preserve your legal case right from the start:
- GET SAFE. Stop your vehicle/move it to a safe place if you are able. Stay close to the scene without obstructing traffic. Activate your emergency flashing lights to prevent other cars from striking you.
- CALL 9-1-1. If you are seriously injured, be sure you request an ambulance when you call. A police report may become critical evidence in determining liability in your case. The police will respond to wrecks involving injuries but may not send a unit for cases involving property damage only.
- TAKE PHOTOS. If you are able to safely do so, take photos of your vehicle, the other vehicle (including the license plate), and the surrounding scene of the accident. You will also want to photograph the other driver’s license and insurance card.
- GATHER INFO. After making sure you and passengers are okay, exchange contact information and insurance information with the other driver.
- FIND WITNESSES. If there are witnesses to the accident, take down their names and contact information. Their statements may help resolve any liability disputes.
- CALL THOMPSON LAW. The experienced team of attorneys, investigators and paralegals are ready to assist you right away. You can even call us to meet you at the scene of an accident.